Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My party has been hijacked....

So I've had a week to think about last Tuesday's election (I know that's an eternity in blogotime) and I think its pretty darn amazing. The country let it be known that we aren't happy. There will be some changes (hopefully for the better...only time will tell), but these changes are happening calmly and orderly, there are no tanks in the streets and civil war has not broken out! We do really live in a great nation...no matter how misguided our leaders (and I'm talking about both sides of aisle) can be at times.

Okay...that being said...I am going to come out...I'm a Republican (or at least I thought I was). I'm actually happy about the change in Congress and I voted for more Democrats than Republicans, but what happened to my party? What happened to Republicans being the party of spending wisely, and keeping Big Brother out of our lives? When did we become the party of legislating morality or spending Billions upon Billions on a war that is doing nothing more than putting our brave men and women in uniform in harms way and making our country less safe? Did we learn nothing from Vietnam? Maybe if our Commander-in-Chief had actually gone to Vietnam he would've thought twice before starting this war.

So bring on something new and for the Republicans, they better hope Rudy wins the nomination for president. :)

Okay...I'm stepping down from my soap box now.

1 comment:

Alexander Carpenter said...

Thanks for your note over on the Spectrum Blog. Yeah. . .today I listened to a heated discussion on NPR between conservatives Andrew Sullivan, Dick Armey, and Ralph Reed. It's clear that the Democratic party has a emerged with the more fiscally responsible philosophy.

Glad that you care about Darfur. I'm adding you to my blog reader. Keep up the thoughtful postin'.