Sunday, November 05, 2006

I Hit the Lottery

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with a neurological tumor the size of a grape fruit in my chest. Had it not been caught it would have continued to grow and would've eventually filled my entire chest cavity! But my doctor did find it and after the inconvinence of having surgery (and some minor complications) the tumor is gone and has not returned. Had I not been born in the US or a western country, the likelihood of the tumor ever being diagnosed would've been nil. And even if the tumor was diagnosed the likelihood of having been able to actually have surgery to remove it would've been even smaller. So when you think about it I hit the lottery...I was given the best care available on the planet!

Most people on the planet don't have access to even basic health care! Think about the last time you ran out to immediate care because of a sore throat, or a sinus infection, its easy for us living in this great country to see a doctor (and we should take advantage of these opportunities) but just think about how hard life would be if that wonderful healthcare system no longer existed.
I'm not saying that we should feel bad or guilty for our lot in life, but we can make a difference for those who don't have adequate healthcare. Join ONE and sign the declaration. http://www.one.org/

3 comments:

DirkStar said...

Wow! Viva La fight for freedom!

http://jestersrap.blogspot.com/

j said...

I'm one of many working persons in the US who can't afford healthcare. I have no coverage from either of my two part times jobs or my university. And none of those thre institutions offers a way for me to buy into a healthcare plan.

I don't make enough money to afford independent health care and since I've never been in this position before I have no idea what to do if I get sick.

great blog by the way!

Courtney said...

Johnny,

I totally understand where you are coming from. For many months my husband and I were uninsured as well. In my current job as a law clerk and hopefully in my future career as a attorney I will be able to help people who need assistence with healtcare obtain that assistence.

This is one of the very important issues that needs to be addressed on the homefront. Everyone should have access to healthcare!

Courtney